Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

High School Evacuated

February 10, 2012
by Dan Voigt , Emmetsburg News

Students at the Emmetsburg High School and Middle School evacuated their classrooms Friday morning, Feb. 10, after an electrical short circuit and smoke triggered smoke and fire alarms.

The alarms sounded around 11:30 a.m. Friday and the Emmetsburg Fire Department was dispatched to the High School/Middle School Complex at 205 King Street. By the time fire units arrived, students were being allowed to return to their classrooms.

Authorities say the electrical cord on a water fountain unit adjacent to the high school gymnasium shorted out and the insulation on the cord began to smolder, creating smoke that was detected by the fire alarm system. When the alarm system activated, students, faculty and staff members evacuated the facility as fire doors throughout the building activated automatically.

District personnel located the source of the smoke and cut power to the outlet. Minimal physical damage was reported to the high school and no injuries were reported in connection with the incident.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web