MANSON -- The Emmetsburg track squads would turn in a stellar effort at Thursday's Class 2A Regional/District meet in Manson, yielding multiple state championship bids in the process. The black-and-gold will be sending nine entries to the Blue Oval, with the 2021 State Track & Field Championships set to begin this Thursday at Drake Stadium in Des Moines.
For the Lady E-Hawks, the state contingent will consist of seven total entries:
• The Sprint Medley foursome of Jenna Joyce, Jade Mueller, Abbie Schany, and Taylor Steinkamp finished in third place Thursday, clocking a time of 1:56.49. The Sprint Medley is set to begin at 9 a.m. Saturday at Drake Stadium.
• Jenna would earn fourth place in the 100m Hurdles with a time of 16.64, securing her spot in the state championship. Jenna will compete at 10 a.m. Friday.
• The 4x100m Shuttle Hurdle Relay squad made up of Maddy Mueller, Macy McAllister, Brie Madden, and Jenna would earn the top spot at Manson, finishing first in a time of 1:09.38. The girls will hit the track at 9 a.m. Thursday.
• In the Distance Medley, Maddy, Abbie, Taylor, and Delaney Joyce would take second, finishing with a time of 4:35.25 to earn a ticket to Des Moines. The foursome will compete beginning at 9 a.m. Friday morning.
• The 4x200m Relay foursome of Maddy, Abbie, Delaney, and Taylor would earn third place with a time of 1:52.18, punching a ticket to the Blue Oval. The 4x200 will begin at 10:50 a.m. Friday.
• In the 4x400m Relay, Emma Auten, Maddy, Delaney, and Taylor would place second, clocking a time of 4:20.43 to advance to Drake Stadium. The foursome will hit the track beginning at 1:20 p.m. Friday.
• Madison Ehrig would punch her ticket in the High Jump, launching a height of 4'10" for third place last Thursday. The High Jump is set to begin in Des Moines at 11:30 a.m. on Friday.
The E-Hawks would earn two state bids during Thursday’s state qualifier:
• In the 100m Dash, Lane Auten would take eighth place with a time of 11.44 to advance. The 100m Dash is scheduled to start at 1:05 p.m. Thursday at Drake Stadium.
• Cole Shirk would earn fourth place in the 400m Hurdles, clocking a time of 57.90 and punching his ticket to state. Cole will take the track at 11:20 a.m. on Friday morning.
During Thursday's meet, the Emmetsburg squads would see a number of close finishes on the day, with athletes just shy of advancing to the state championships.
The E-Hawks would take fifth in the Sprint Medley, with Lane, Ben Dunlap, Cade Shirk, and Jonah Hackbart-Morlock clocking a time of 1:40.27. In the 400m Dash, Malachi Douglass would place fourth with a time of 55.43.
The boys 4x400m Relay foursome of Malachi, Ben, Cade, and Jonah would place fifth in 3:40.76, while the 4x100m group of Lane, Ryan Brennan, Colby Weir, and Quentin Ort would take sixth place with a time of 46.65.
Jordan Anderson would come up just short in field events, earning third place in the Discus with a distance of 125'04.5", and fourth place in the Shot Put with a 44'05.5" throw.
The Lady E-Hawks would see Raylene Poeppe finish in fifth place in the 400m Dash, clocking a time of 1:08.46 during the state qualifying meet. In the 400m Hurdles, Delaney Joyce would earn a third place finish with a time of 1:12.35.